The Department of Advanced Education and Skills helps people access post-secondary education, develop basic skills, plan their careers, find and keep jobs, obtain financial assistance, and immigrate to the province. The department undertakes strategic initiatives to align labour supply and demand, including working with education and training partners to help prepare people for job opportunities in the province and ensure the responsiveness of post-secondary training institutions. The department supports employers in accessing and keeping skilled workers, works with organizations to deliver employment and career supports, and assists people affected by wide-scale emergencies. The department also leads corporate-wide strategies and approaches to promote immigration and multiculturalism, develop the provincial workforce and support sustained population growth.
The Department of Advanced Education and Skills helps citizens obtain the necessary educational, financial, and social supports to achieve the greatest benefit from the opportunities that exist in the province.
To ensure the province has a skilled workforce and highly educated graduates to participate in and contribute to their communities, the department works with employers and collaborates with private post-secondary institutions, Memorial University and College of the North Atlantic.
The department also provides supports to meet labour market demands, increase labour force participation, facilitate immigration, promote multiculturalism, support adult literacy to strengthen individual self-reliance.
Growth through employment, strength in diversity, dignity by inclusion
By 2017, the Department of Advanced Education and Skills will have improved the quality and the delivery of supports and services.
The department fulfills its mandate through the following lines of business:
There are approximately 750 staff (approximately 75% female and 25% male) working in 26 communities around the province. Approximately 51% of employees are located in offices in the St. John’s Census Metropolitan Area (CMA). This includes sites at Confederation Building, Coughlan College at Memorial University, and offices in St. John’s and Mount Pearl. The remaining 49% of staff are located in offices throughout the province. Please call if you have any questions or concerns.
The department has expanded its client base over recent years to provide people with a broad range of services – be it providing financial supports, career counseling, training allowances, wage subsidies or disaster relief. We support employers with attracting and retaining employees. We work with post-secondary institutions, community agencies and service providers to help people prepare for, obtain and keep employment. We also work together with other departments, governments and their agencies to support citizens to participate fully in the life of the province. Accordingly, the Department of Advanced Education and Skills currently serves eight broad groups: