Text Size

Moving into the Workforce

If you find a job while receiving income support benefits, it is very important that you contact the toll free number for your region immediately:

  • You may be eligible for additional funding to assist with certain expenses when going to work.
  • You may be eligible for a job start benefit of $250 (if you have dependents) or $125 (if you are a single person).
  • You may qualify for an earnings supplement. Certain exemptions will be allowed which will decrease the amount of earnings considered, and therefore increase your supplement. These exemptions include:
    • the first $150.00 a month for a family; $250 if you or someone in your family requires supportive services, plus 20% of your earnings balance;
    • the first $75.00 a month for a single person; $150 if you require supportive services, plus 20% of your earnings balance; and
    • expenses such as transportation and child care.
  • If a health plan is not available from your employer, you, your spouse and dependent children are eligible to receive a drug card for a full six months after leaving the Income Support program for employment.
  • As a single parent working more than 30 hours a month, you can also receive an Earned Income Supplement, which is added to your monthly Income Support benefit.
  • If you receive an income tax refund, it is yours to keep.
  • Your income will not be considered until you have been working for 30 days.
  • You are required by law to report any changes in your financial circumstances to your Client Services Officer.

If you are interested in receiving more information about our programs and services to help you prepare for, find and keep a job, you may call the toll free number for your region or contact:

Labour Market and Career Information Hotline

Department of Advanced Education and Skills
Toll-free: 1-800-563-6600
TTY: 1-866-729-4685
Fax: 1-709-729-1129
Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.