Self-Employment Assistance is an employment program that provides financial and entrepreneurial assistance to eligible individuals to
help them create jobs for themselves by starting a business.
Information for Individuals
Am I Eligible?
You are eligible if you are an unemployed individual:
- Who has a current EI claim; or
- Whose EI benefit period ended within the last three (3) years; or
- Who has established a benefit period within the past five (5) years prior to the date of requesting assistance, was paid parental
or maternity benefits, and are re-entering the labour force after having left it in order to care for a newborn or newly adopted child.
Other criteria may apply.
How do I Apply?
- The date your completed application is received by the Department of Advanced Education and Skills is the date when you are considered
to have requested assistance.
- This date is used to determine whether you qualify as an "insured participant" within the timeframes outlined above.
- If you are currently receiving Employment Insurance benefits, you may continue to receive these benefits until the end of your benefit
period, after which you may be eligible to receive a living allowance to the end of your Self-Employment Assistance agreement.
- If you are not in receipt of Employment Insurance benefits, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance for living expenses.
- Assistance may be provided in exceptional circumstances to cover all or part of the following costs related to
participation (e.g., dependent care, disability needs, transportation and accommodation).
- The maximum duration of an agreement with a participant is 52 weeks, and 78 weeks for persons with a disability.
Information for Organizations/Sponsors
Is my Organization Eligible?
Businesses, organizations, municipalities, band/tribal councils, public health and educational institutions are eligible to receive
funding as Self-Employment Assistance Coordinators.
How do I Apply?
Sponsors/coordinators seeking funding under Self-Employment Assistance should complete the
Self-Employment Assistance Coordinator application and submit it to the nearest
Advanced Education and Skills office.
Note: all links below are PDFs and will open in a new window.
Advanced Education and Skills LMDA Delivery Office Locations
General enquiries: 1-800-563-6600
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free