IMPORTANT: Advanced Education and Skills has introduced application deadlines for the Skills Development Program. See below for important dates.
Skills Development provides financial assistance to eligible individuals to help them get the skills training they need to find employment. Financial
assistance may be provided for the following eligible costs:
- Mandatory Fees
- Living Expenses
- Dependent Care Expenses
- Disability Needs
This form is made available for Training Institutions to completefor students who are applying under NL Skills Development.
Am I Eligible?
You are eligible if you are an unemployed individual:
- Who has a current EI claim; or
- Whose EI benefit period ended within the last three (3) years; or
- Who has established a benefit period within the past five (5) years prior to the date of requesting assistance, was paid parental or maternity
benefits and are re-entering the labour force after having left it in order to care for a newborn or newly adopted child.
Other criteria may apply.
How to Access
- The date your completed application is received by the Department of Advanced Education and Skills is the date when you are considered to have requested assistance.
- This date is used to determine whether you qualify as an "insured participant" within the timeframes outlined above.
- If you are currently receiving Employment Insurance benefits, you may continue to receive
these benefits until the end of your benefit period, after which you may be eligible to receive a living allowance to the end of your Skills Development agreement.
- If you are not in receipt of Employment Insurance benefits, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance for living expenses.
- Assistance may be provided to cover all or part of the following costs related to participation (dependent care,
course related tuition, books, and mandatory fees; disability needs, transportation and accommodation).
- Individuals who participate in Skills Development may be required to make a financial contribution towards the cost of their training.
- Your application must be approved by Advanced Education and Skills before you begin your training.
- Advanced Education and Skills' agreement with an individual can extend to three years depending on the participant's Return to Work Action Plan.
Advanced Education and Skills LMDA Delivery Office Locations
General enquiries: 1-800-563-6600
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free